Friday, October 5, 2018

What's he Building in There?



Now for a non-gaming post: I own a small cabinet shop in real life, and this year we will be participating in our local Artisan's Studio Tour. There are about twenty-five or so studios open to the public on a weekend in November, with about forty artists and artisans -- woodworkers, potters, jewelers, etc. -- exhibiting and giving demonstrations. I've got a couple of furniture pieces that will be on display, and am also building a new piece.

Importantly, this year I am giving my four guys that are the cabinetmakers (as opposed to the finishers) the chance to build a furniture piece each to exhibit. I'm giving each of them 16 hours, which they will be paid for, to come up with a design and build their pieces. If they sell during the Tour I'll split the sale price with them, otherwise it is theirs to do with as they want.

Since I'm building a piece I'm sticking to the same 16 hour deadline I've given my guys (16 hours is, btw, plenty of time to build a relatively simple piece such as a coffee or bedside table, a simple credenza or desk, etc.). I've suggested they build something smallish that has a good chance of selling (big pieces don't, since people are less likely to buy big, expensive pieces at shows). Anyway, I will be posting progress pictures here on occasion (both mine and others).

No comments:

Post a Comment